CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, June 28, 2008

DT&I


Did you know that Henry Ford LOVED trains and purchased the DT&I railroad? I didn't so I decided to do so detective work. Here is a short of what I found. Remember, check out the website for more of the history.

Probably the best known era of the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton began on July 10, 1920, when the Ford Motor Company purchased the company for about $5 million. The DT&I was truly the "Darned, Tired and Irksome" as two and a quarter years of wartime neglect had undone much of what had been accomplished before governmental control. For his part, Ford received over 300 miles of rundown main track and branch lines, 80 locomotives, 2,800 freight and a couple dozen passenger cars - most of this in anything but satisfactory condition. Henry Ford himself assumed the president's chair in March, 1921, and made frequent trips over the road, often in the locomotive cab.

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stories/DT&I-TheRailroadThatWentNoPlacePart2.htm


I even found a video on YouTube but I'm not sure if it's DT&I. I bet most of you that worked in the city or at /near the Rouge plant will know where is video is taken. Here's one for you dad, Rick Moffatt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-2YTxh1YhA


Lisa

0 comments: