CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!!

I've been waiting to do this blog for you guys and I'm excited. I have decided to show pictures of different 1776 trains. I do remember seeing one or two of them when I was little in 1976. I guess I was little. I was 4. ( haha) So sit back and enjoy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA


Missouri-Kansas-Texas GP40 #200 sports the Bicentennial Paint Scheme in San Antonio at MKTs Sloan Yard in 1976. - Robert Pollard Photo/Jay Glenewinkel Collection

Western Pacific GP40 #1776 - is in Sacramento, California on July 4, 1976. - Jay Glenewinkel postcard collection Here's the website.......www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/gallery/aft.html

MoPac Bicentennial GP7 #1776 - was built in April 1950 as C&EI High Hood GP7 #212. It was later renumbered to C&EI #77. The unit was rebuilt with a new 2500 gallon fuel tank, and had the nose chopped and emerged as C&EI #84. It later became the MP Bicentennial #1776. It was retired in September 1977, and traded in to EMD for the new GP38s. - Missouri Pacific Railroad Photo/Jay Glenewinkel Collection
Here's the website.......www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/loco_oddball.html

BN #1776 - TX Photo of BN #1776, as taken in Texas. Website: www.qstation.org/bnresource.html

Pittsburg Lake Erie GP7 #1501, Beaver Falls PA 1976. J. Hunt

Pittsburg & Shawmut SW-9 1776 (Betsy Ross) & 1851 (Sam Colt) , blt 1953 cn19043 George G. Haines III

California Western BLW RS12 #55 , Fort Bragg, CA 1976, blt 1955 cn76024, nee MR32 Craig Walker

Conrail GP-38 #7776 Bill Navari

Detroit Toledo & Ironton GP-38 # 1776, Flat Rock MI 1975 Joseph Testagrose

GTW GP-38 Bi-cent #1776, Chicago, IL 1976
George Elwood

Illinois Central Gulf GP-38 # 1776, McComb MS 195 Conniff Railroadiana

Website for the last 7 photo's......www.northeast.railfan.net/bicent6.html

I once asked my father why did they paint the locomotives like that. I think I stunned him because I don't think he gave me a real good answer. So I think I have found it.......

patriotic spirit
Signs of Bicentennial fever were everywhere. All across the country, landmarks were painted with patriotic colors and designs. Buildings, fire hydrants, locomotives....nothing escaped the artist's paintbrush. These were the days when car owners received a new set of license plates every year, and most states adopted a patriotic design for 1976. Many companies produced special Bicentennial editions of their regular products, including food, beverages, pens, and collector's plates. Bicentennial t-shirts and buttons were all the rage. At Disneyland, the Main Street Electrical Parade was pre-empted for 2 years so they could bring you America On Parade.

Please visit http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/lisawebworld/bicentennial.html to learn more about the bicentennial.

Lisa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's the question: Did any of the prototype roads do a locomotive AND a caboose in Bicentennial colors?

Anonymous said...

Yes Southern Pacific